Fire Dept. Wins Grant for Crucial Safety Equipment
Self-contained Breathing Apparatuses
The Santee Fire Department has been awarded a $230,091 federal grant to replace its soon-to-be outdated stock of self-contained breathing apparatuses.
The breathing devices are crucial to workplace safety and are “the single most important tool in the fire service today,” according to the city’s application to the Assistance to Firefighters Grant Program under the Department of Homeland Security. The devices, which include air cylinders and heat-resistant face pieces, allow firefighters to breathe clean air when responding to fires, hazardous materials spills, and search and rescue operations.
The grant funds will be used to purchase about 35 of the breathing devices, which weigh 20 pounds and provide about 30 minutes of breathable air. The city’s current stock of breathing devices will reach the end of their 15-year lifespan in January 2019.
The grant will pay 90 percent of the city’s estimated cost of $253,000 for the devices. The city will pay the remaining 10 percent, approximately $23,000.